Error saving page

I gave Edmund a spin tonight because I had a need to update the parent page on a handful of pages. I'm able to browse my site just fine but every time I try to save changes it fails. My site is set to allow API read/write access for admins and I am using my read/write API key. The site is currently private while I'm developing it.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this?

Discussion - 6 comments

Anonymousbcammo 07 Aug 2011 02:01

Hmm, the Error saving page message could mean any number of problems. If you're up for some investigative work, could you please open up Edmund in Firefox & try to save the page. Then in Firebug, under the Console tab, you should see the list of API requests - if you click on the last one in the list it should show the details of the latest request. Under XML there will be a more detailed message as to what to caused the problem.

firebug-console-edmund.png

Edit

AnonymousEd Johnson 07 Aug 2011 16:19

The problem turned out to be that I left the notification option turned off. With it off, I get this response:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<methodResponse><fault><value><struct><member><name>faultCode</name><value><int>406</int></value></member><member><name>faultString</name><value><string>Argument notify_watchers must be on of true, false.</string></value></member></struct></value></fault></methodResponse>

I also ran into a problem on pages that had several tags with a total length over 64 characters (occurs with notifications enabled or not):
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<methodResponse><fault><value><struct><member><name>faultCode</name><value><int>406</int></value></member><member><name>faultString</name><value><string>Argument tags should not contain items longer than 64</string></value></member></struct></value></fault></methodResponse>

In spite of some growing pains, Edmund is a helluva nice piece of work! The user interface is friendly, looks awesome and feels like a modern piece of software.

Edit

Anonymousleiger 08 Aug 2011 04:44

First: Looks like Edmund is sending something other than "true" and "false" … a mis-type probably & easy to fix?

Second: It looks to me like instead of saving multiple tags to a page… Edmund is not separating them and is attempting to save them all as one very long tag.

Edit

Anonymousbcammo 08 Aug 2011 13:30

I've noticed some problems with the way the watching notifications setting is stored between sessions. Ed, if you enable watching notifications, then disable them (i.e. uncheck the box again) does the page save properly?

As for the tags, how did you enter them into the text box? Directly or copy/paste from somewhere else? I'm guessing there's something other than a space character between each tag (but I could be completely off).

And I'm glad you like Edmund :)

Edit

AnonymousEd Johnson 09 Aug 2011 15:07

Toggling the notification setting on and then back off does work. Highlights from the console log:

submit button clicked (save page failed)
yes, send notifications. Saved cookie.
submit button clicked (save page worked)
No, dont send notifications. Saved cookie.
submit button clicked (save page worked)

It looks like if you set the cookie the first time we click the "Go Explore" button, it may solve the problem.


The tag failure is not the result of me editing any tags. I tried to save a page that has a number of tags, all of which are page names:

order-taking product-service-knowledge introduction-to-registers phones advanced-phone-answering-large-order-taking

The longest single tag is 43 characters. The tags were simply read in by Edmund when I browsed to that page. I edited the parent and tried to save the page and got the error about the tag length returned in the console.

Sorry that this single thread is dealing with two different issues.

Edit

Anonymousbcammo 09 Aug 2011 15:58

Okay, I've just pushed an update that fixes these two problems - thanks for pointing them out Ed.

The first problem was caused if you had not ever toggled the email notifications (and therefore there was no stored setting) - rather than sending 'false', it was just empty. I've set it to check the local storage for the setting when you launch the app, and if it isn't present then save the setting as 'false'.

The tags problem would occur if you imported & then exported a page without editing the tags. They would try to export all as one rather than being split up.

Edit

Add a new comment